Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pretending to be Olympic Skiers


I know we've been a bit behind on our blog and so here it is to those of you who have requested a new blog post. I've actually started to consider erasing our blog. The main reason we kept the blog was to document our lives in Grenada and England but now that we are back in the States there is really nothing exciting to share. But we will see, this is just an idea that I've had for a couple of days.

Winter is almost gone and we've loved every minute of it. I love to go out and walk around the city, especially on days when it snows, you really get to see the small little details that make New York City so unique.




While Matt was doing his surgery rotation, I used to have a routine walk to central park. And usually on my way back home I would meet Matt on his way home on his exit from the subway.


I know this photo is blurry but it resembles so much the craziness and late nights of surgery.

On another walk across the Brooklyn Bridge I came across something that someone wrote on a construction site and I laughed so hard when I saw it.


A couple of weeks ago we went on a day skiing trip north of the city. It was Matt's reward for finishing surgery rotation, or should I say for surviving 24hr call every third night at the hospital. We drove with some friends from church and I have to say we had a blast.


This was my first time skiing and Matt wanted to make my first time skiing perfect. So he got me to take some lessons and let me tell you, I've never felt so humiliated. I ran into my instructor twice because I didn't know how to stop with those silly skies. I am not going to lie, I did cry at one point since I felt like such an idiot...haha. The day got better as I keep practicing on the bunny slopes and then my hopes of being an Olympic skier were shattered when I saw 4 and 5 year old kids ski better than me.

Like I said the day got better but I think it had to do with the fact that our friend John was wearing a skiing suit that looked like he went back to the 80's. He actually pulled off the suit pretty well while doing some crazy moves. Needless to say, I am considering giving skiing another try. But I better start skiing like those 4 year olds...right.



6 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh no! I didn't know that you cried! That is horrible. You should have gone with me because I would have made you feel better, because I would have made you look so good! You are so brave for wanting to give it another try!

Ashley said...

I want to go skiing with you someday! We will cry together because I am seriously the worst. haha! I miss you so much! Can't wait to see you soon!

Justin & Ashlee said...

So good to see some pics from you! I hope you don't erase the blog....we love being able to how our friends around the world are doing. Congrats to Matt for finishing his rotation. How are you doing Maria? I hope good. Again, I am so glad to hear a little post from you :)

Louise Cave said...

Please don't erase your blog. I love getting to see the beautiful photos you are taking. The first two are my favourites. Someday we can go skiing in the Alps and let Benji and Evie kick our butts!!

emily said...

NO! don't erase your blog! great photos, esp the brooklyn bridge one!

Jess said...

Wow ny makes for great pics. Looks like you had fun skiing! Miss you guys!