
The shuttle Discovery blasted off this morning at 6:21am and Maria and I woke up early to go see it. When the alarm sounded at 5:30 after only 5 hours of sleep I was reluctant to get up because I knew the sun would not be up yet and I figured it was 40 miles away so we wouldn't even be able to see the spec of a shuttle at that distance. However, I was wrong. The faint glow of the sunrise did begin to appear as the launch time neared, but, actually, we would not have even needed the suns light to view the show. The view was probably even enhanced and more dramatic with the black backdrop. As the AM radio station we were listening to announced 20 seconds to launch I looked north in the general direction of Cape Canaveral. Then, instantly, an atomic bomb sized fire ball blasts into view along the horizon and rises into the vast unknown! A couple minutes later a thunderous roar from the engines rolled over us and continued on down the Florida coast. Here are some of the pictures Maria snapped as we looked over the Banana River on Pineda Causeway. They almost capture the magnificence of seeing it live.



Sun shines on the shuttle plume. Red, white, and blue. Nice touch.
Mr. Hatler enjoying the view.
4 comments:
Great pictures Maria!! Looks like you all had loads of fun! I've always wanted to see that!!!
Can't wait to see you in a few months in NY :)
Wow that's so cool! Love the red white and blue.
It was an amazing launch! Matt and I got up to watch it, and it was beautiful! Loved looking at your pictures!
those pictures are so cool! felt like i was looking at a magazine or something. and it made me miss florida so much! it's still snowing out here most days so i sure wish i was in florida.
hope you two are doing well! it was awesome to see you at Christmas. =) take care!
Post a Comment