Monday, November 16, 2009

Limes After School Program




At the beginning of this semester, I embarked on a journey that has changed my life in so many ways. In August I was given the opportunity to become an instructor for an after school program in a less-privileged neighborhood of Grenada. This program was created by a local nurse, Ann Hopkin, in order to educate and give love to the kids that live in the Limes neighborhood. In the past years, the Limes After School Program was managed by the Peace Corp volunteers. However, by the middle of this year the number of incoming volunteers decreased. This meant there was no one available to run the after school program. This is when three amazing ladies and I decided to volunteer and become instructors for the program.

Being an instructor at this program has not been easy but it has been the most rewarding thing that I’ve ever done. Now more than ever, I have so much appreciation for teachers….you guys don’t have an easy job! As our journey here in Grenada comes to an end, I sit here in tears realizing I am about to leave these kids. I love them so much and I wish I could stay longer to see share more memories with them. I’ve learned so much from these kids and I will miss them dearly.



The after school program takes place three times a week for two hours each day. The program is optional for the kids. That means the number of kids that come to the program varies with the day. Some days we have 40 kids and other days we just have to 15 kids that show up.

Thursdays are fun days. Usually we do crafts and relay races. Last week we danced to the cha-cha slide. To my surprise the kids love it.












I am in charge of teaching the 3rd and 4th graders and most of the kids in my group are boys. You can just imagine how much they bicker with one another. They don’t call me by my first name or last name. My name is “Miss” & I love it!






The Limes instructors, these three ladies are amazing. I don’t know what I will do without them.




We had a bake sale at the school so we can raise some money for the program. We had a great turnout!



So cute! I don't want to leave. Oh Grenada, you have taught me so much. I will miss you!

5 comments:

Justin & Ashlee said...

Maria, YOU are amazing! What a great thing you have done for these kids! That is so awesome. I am sure they are greatful for what you have done. You touch everyones life you meet! How is life? Send me an email someime.

Ashley said...

You really are amazing. Those kids are going to miss you so much and so am I :(

Brittany and Cody said...

Oh Maria..you make me so sad! The limes has been a very good experience, and I know the kids will miss you. I'm really going to miss you too..the island is just not going to be the same :(

Sara and Dustin said...

I just love seeing their faces. You are a great woman, Maria. I can see how that program would be very difficult but very rewarding. I'm sure those kids adore you. Great pictures - you'll love those forever.

Justin & Ashlee said...

Hey, it was good to hear from you! Thanks for the comment:) Don't worry about emailing until you have a minute or two. I know you are probably busy enjoying your last days and getting ready to move. Until then, I can't wait to hear all about what you are up to, where you are going, etc... :)